Disk layout for XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 08:45:14 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Sascha
Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> Care to elaborate? I've been using LVM for many years on lots of systems and
> never had a single problem.
> How does it require "cooperation from the filesystem"? It's just a block
> layer, you can store arbitrary data on it (and I've done so in the past).

What the end user wants -- "shrink or expand a the partition" is also
"shrink or expand the fs". So the fs tools must support shrinking and
expanding.

IME, any operator/hw/sw error in the multi-step process is fatal. More
to the point, any powerloss during the process is fatal, and the
process of FS shrinking takes ages.

The context of my comment is an OLPC dev list: we are trying to build
fail-safe tools here for deployment in the field.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions