[IAEP] 3D engine uses in a no-nonsense GUI (was: XO Gen 1.5)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 05:00:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> Imagine if it actually looked like the demo:
> http://www.sugarlabs.org/index.php?template=gallery&page=media_01

Exactly my thoughts. There are a couple of things we have to be
mindful of as we step into the wild 3D world...

 - memory footprint -- those smooth transitions count on having
various full-screen buffers, one for each screen you might want to
slide smoothly into.

 - batery burn -- the OpenGL API was originally designed for high end
workstations, and has some battery-depleting features such as a hi-res
timer event that triggers all the time and prevents sleep

The iPhone uses these smooth UI tricks (to a fantastic effect), and
its battery life is a fraction of every other phone -- I'd say that
the 3D niceness is part of the reason why.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions