[Sugar-devel] Notes on service discovery XS/XO

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 17:25:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 2:05 AM,  <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> my initial reaction to this is that it's going to look to the client exactly
> the same as a bad guy trying to poison DNS by sending unasked for responses,
> how do the clients tell the difference?

They can't. That's how DNS works. Lots of ink have flowed on that very
topic. I'm not interested in bikeshedding, I'm interesting in using
DNS smartly, and in getting help to get it done.

> also note that this will require that you run some sort of DNS cache on the

The standard dns resolver libs on linux (part of glibc?) caches
alright. All platforms I know cache things alright, and it's fairly
serious bug if your OS doesn't.

> take a look at packetfence. it does exactly that job today, for free, on
> linux (among other platforms)

Doesn't look like a fit for the XS, did you look at it?

Weird. I do have some things to build, but everyone ignores them and
keeps bikeshedding.

Code talks, peoples.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions