[Sugar-devel] Notes on service discovery XS/XO

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 10:08:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> DNS-SD using unicast DNS seems reasonable to me too.

If we can do without the avahi gunk, and use it in a way that is not
optimised for user driven browsing but for automated selection of
services, then it might work.

> Looking closer at the RFC, the initial service queries do have an added
> overhead in that a layer of indirection is used (not SRV -> A, but
> instead PTR -> SRV + TXT -> A).  But standard DNS optimizations apply,
> so SOA record should allow clients to preserve bandwidth through
> caching.

Can we teach dnsmasq to push all the relevant records with the SOA record?

> In other words: Install dnsmasq on the XOs, use plain standard DNS
> internally and on the wire, setup DNS-SD entries in a standard
> nameserver on the XS, and extend Sugar to support DNS-SD.
>
> I'd be happy to help compose standard BIND9 files, if that is what will
> be used on the XS.

If we have a dnsmasq resident expert, I rather use your help
transitioning to dnsmasq (note - with several bits of weird dhcp
rules). There is no upside to BIND and plenty of downsides, starting
with the >25MB memory footprint.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions