XO Gen 1.5

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Fri Apr 17 23:04:28 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 15:24 -0400, John Watlington wrote:
> The design goal is to provide an overall update
> of the system within the same ID and external appearance.
>
> In order to maximize compatibility with existing software, this
> refresh will continue with an x86 processor, using a chipset from
> VIA.  The memory will be increased to 1 GB of DDR2 SDRAM, and the
> built-in storage will be 4 GB of NAND Flash with an option for 8 GB
> (installed at manufacture).
>
> The processor will be a VIA C7-M [1], with plans on using one whose
> clock ranges from 400 MHz (1.5 W) to 1GHz (5 W).  The clock may be
> throttled back automatically if necessary to meet thermal constraints.

How much cheaper will the new system be?  I was under the impression
that the idea was to allow the XO price to drop with technology gains
rather than spec increase.

Of course I'm happy to accept spec increases if they come as a result of
cost savings, but wasn't cost supposed to be the priority?

Does this also mean that people who already own XOs will find that new
software is going to require a computer more powerful than they
currently have?  I thought that that was something that was going to be
specifically avoided.