Gen 1.5 debug serial port (plus GPIO map)

Mitch Bradley wmb at laptop.org
Fri Apr 17 16:11:48 EDT 2009

Are you sure we couldn't fit it in one of the existing openings for
cables to come through?

    Big opening where the mic and backlight cables come out (looks like
it would fit)

    Somewhat smaller one on the other side near the USB ports (probably
big enough but might be hard to insert)

    Speaker cable openings (dodgy, but perhaps)

    LED openings near the bottom (dodgy, but perhaps)

I wonder if it's absolutely necessary to physically disconnect the
camera when using the serial port?

If the connector is not populated, the effort of installing a serial
port is increased to the point that people (at least me) will think
thrice before doing it, thus making other solutions more attractive.

Perhaps there is some alternative to the existing connector that is
easier to hook up to if not populated.  Holes or something.

If we assume the use of the USB version of the serial dongle, we don't
need to supply power from the XO board, so only 3 pins are needed.

I'm just trying to think of ways to make it "less trouble than it's worth".