[IAEP] Fwd: Heart Rate Monitor Peripheral

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Wed Apr 8 21:13:43 EDT 2009

> Alas, the blocker with Measure (and Turtle Art with Sensors) is that
> we haven't come to consensus regarding a packaging strategy for the
> binary drivers we include for support of the sensor input; these
> differ by architecture, which wasn't a problem when we were building
> for just one architecture. Perhaps the packaging gurus can chime in.
> (See http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/155).

I'm guessing below, because I can't find the source of the "binary
driver" you are discussing.  The bug report doesn't point to it, and
it isn't in an obvious place in the OLPC git or the Sugar gitorious.

It's not a "binary driver", it's just a library implemented in C or C++
rather than Python.  This is only novel to the Sugar team -- the vast
majority of packages in every Linux distro are already this way.

There's already a python-alsaaudio package in Ubuntu:

  http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/sound/python-alsaaudio

If this is the module you're calling, your sugar-measure-activity
package just has to mention that as a dependency, and all should be
well.

If you have your own unique python-alsaaudio module, you'll probably
want to merge it with the already-existing one, and fix up Measure
so it can call the existing public one.

	John