Recompiling the firmware

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Sun Apr 5 14:49:53 EDT 2009

Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> Hello
>
> I couldn't find a lot of informations about firmware recompilation.
>
>>From what I've read, I think I can get it from
> http://openbios.org/viewvc/?root=OpenFirmware
>
> But how do I recompile it, to get a new .rom file ready to by flashed
> ? (the same question appears on Firmware_hobby_hacking on the wiki,
> without any reply)

cd ./openfirmware/cpu/x86/pc/olpc/build
make

If successful that will leave you with a .rom file in that directory.

> Do I need specific tools ?

You need a active internet connection cause the build will pull a few
other bits from the laptop.org servers.
You also need an asl compiler.  The know to work version can be found at
http://dev.laptop.org/~rsmith/iasl Mitch claims he had trouble with
other versions.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>