Recompiling the firmware

Richard A. Smith richard at
Sun Apr 5 14:49:53 EDT 2009

Guylhem Aznar wrote:

> Hello
> I couldn't find a lot of informations about firmware recompilation.
>>From what I've read, I think I can get it from
> But how do I recompile it, to get a new .rom file ready to by flashed
> ? (the same question appears on Firmware_hobby_hacking on the wiki,
> without any reply)

cd ./openfirmware/cpu/x86/pc/olpc/build

If successful that will leave you with a .rom file in that directory.

> Do I need specific tools ?

You need a active internet connection cause the build will pull a few
other bits from the servers.
You also need an asl compiler.  The know to work version can be found at Mitch claims he had trouble with
other versions.

Richard Smith  <richard at>
One Laptop Per Child