[sugar] Feedback on Measure (was Re: Another pass through some basic Activity test results)

Erik Blankinship erikb at mediamods.com
Mon Sep 29 09:55:22 EDT 2008

> Is there any particular reason why Record does not use a single window?

Record's GUI overlays widgets on top of video windows.

This is how we create the "picture in a picture effect" (using XV in a
window) and also how we add the fullscreen toggle button.  GTK doesn't play
well with overlapping widgets -- gtk.Fixed() doesn't guarantee Z-order.  So
we use a stack of gtk.Windows without decoration.

Unfortunately, when we put xv video into a widget (e.g. gtk.DrawingArea with
a gstreamer xvimagesink) into a gtk.Fixed, that widget's video always
displays "on top" of other widgets, regardless of its z-order.

It was recommended at one point to create a new version of gtk.Fixed that
guarantees z-order, but the use of gtk.Window was well underway and works.