[Fwd: Re: Odd occurance when installing 764]

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Sep 28 21:50:36 EDT 2008

On 29 Sep 2008, at 02:06, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 03:21:49PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> To Michael: Not sure who to direct this to, but should the post
>> install scripts do some extra checks for this potential upgrade
>> fluff? Not sure how many upgrades this could effect.
>
> What might we do with it if we found it?
>
> Michael

:-)

Well I can't think of a reasonable reason for leaving an old copy of
Journal kicking around in /home/olpc/Activities (faint chance a dev is
keeping old keep sakes). So that would be a rm, in my book. Unless you
think there is a faint chance of the user booting back to some pre 6xx
build and have it still work?

The Clac issue I guess is a special case in that that there was a
'Calculate' from MIT that was replaced by Reinier's 'Calc' at some
point (at least as I understand the history), so I'm guessing
bundle_id didn't exist  (or perhaps now depreciated service thingy) so
there's no way the updater would officially know to replace/remove
Calc and replace with Calculate. This could be a special case for post
cleanup, removing Calc if Calculate has been installed.

I guess it's a trade-off between fielding support questions, risk of
deleting something the user actually wanted still, and complexity of
the post install script (as it surly will grow over time). I don't
claim to know enough to answer, just enough to ask the question :-)

--Gary

P.S. what's the post install script called by the way? I'm sure I've
seen it mentioned in passing or rushing past the console after an
install, doing 'rainbow' type stuff I think, hence me invoking your
name here.