New release8.2 build 764

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sun Sep 28 14:35:12 EDT 2008

2008/9/28  <david at lang.hm>:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, Carol Lerche wrote:
>
>> Why not call it a "tester's key"?  It is principally useful for testing
>> late-breaking versions.
>
> tester key or experimenter key would be better (although experimenter key
> may have implications that make it sound too attractive)

This does disable antitheft protections, which may not be important to
most "developers" and "testers" but are considered *very* important by
many of our deployments.  (We can debate whether or not they are
mistaken elsewhere, but please take it as a given for the purposes of
this particular thread.).

I find it vaguely amusing that developers, who first came up with the
implementation, named it a "developer's key", and now the more popular
name from the testing community is "tester's key".  It seems we're all
a bit vain, imagining our own selves to be the most "typical" users.
=)
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )