Activity resume issues (was Re: twenty issues with Paint activity)

rihoward1 at gmail.com rihoward1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 11:24:20 EDT 2008

On Sep 26, 2008, at 7:40 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> The above may be a general system problem.  I have seen the same
>>> problem with both Chat and Browse were if you double click on the
>>> icon
>>> you end up with menu weirdness and throbbing icons.
>>
>> I've had the same problem when I accidentally double-clicked on the
>> Terminal icon.
>

> Me too. I assumed there were synchronicity issues with activity
> starting/closing/resuming. For example, it has happened to me that
> when I close an activity and immediately resume it, the activity
> cannot create a dbus service. I assumed this was because the previous
> service was not yet completely done yet. But in the light of this new
> discussion it may well have been that I accidentally clicked twice for
> resuming, and since you cannot create the same dbus service twice it
> explains the error.
>
> The symptom is that there are two colored activity icons in the frame
> plus a gray circle. The splash screen is displayed and does not go
> away. I usually press alt-tab then which dismisses the splash screen
> and switches to the actual activity.
>
> - Bert -

I think you can also get this problem to happen if you click the same
icon before it has finished opening the application.  In other words
tab back to the home view and click again.  It was actually easier to
do this in the old layout that the G1G1 came with(e.g. 656).  In fact
a number of G1G1 users coined the term 'throbber' for this situation
as the icon for the activity would sit there throbbing.