twenty issues with Paint activity

S Page info at skierpage.com
Thu Sep 25 18:59:27 EDT 2008

Paint-23 on 8.2-763.
These are roughly in menu order.

If from Journal I double-click on a Paint activity icon, I get two icons
in the Frame, one of which has a doubled menu ("Paint Activity - Resume
- Stop - Resume - Stop") that I can't resume or stop.  When I tried to
reproduce I got two icons, the first had the doubled menu, but this time
the second icon pulsed forever.

You can't name a paint session in Paint (6220, I added this to release
notes).

I can copy Paint's marquee selection and it appears in the frame, but
the selection seems inactive -- it's gray, has no hover menu, I can't
drag it.

I couldn't get paste of a selection to work.

The Paint fill is so slow that I assumed the app had died.

The Tools menu looks like a tools palette but you it doesn't show the
selected tool.  Actually, there is one item that looks like a selected
tool, but it's the rounded-rect around the current color.

The color selection swatches would be a lot more obvious if they started
out as the kid's XO colors instead of black and black.

Meanwhile the T in the text menu does have a gray background as if it's
selected, but it isn't until you click it.  And the two effects icons
have a white background as if they're active.

If you type a pencil or brush size in their drop-down menus you can't
dismiss the menu from the keyboard.

The Pencil size seems unchanged after changing its size.

Polygon tool cursor doesn't look like the polygon tool icon.

The Shapes menu doesn't fit the available space, "Triangle" is in a more
items drop-down.  I would get rid of the "Line" shape so the Shapes menu
can fit on the regular screen.

The menu is "Text", its menu item is "Type".  What's the difference?

The image resize spinboxes are so slow if I paste a previous Paint image
in, I assumed the app had died.  If I type in the image resize text
boxes nothing happens but I don't know if it's really slow or they're
dead to text input.  Ideally they'd immediately show the value you type
in or spin to but then you'd get a busy cursor.

I can choose anything from the Journal for Image insert, e.g. a terminal
session, but nothing happens if it isn't a previous Paint session.  Is
Paint meant to insert the preview image of non-Paint sessions?

After unsuccessfully changing the size of an inserted image, the pencil
tool works but the paint tool gets stuck as a selection marquee tool
(makes no sense, but it's happened three times to me).

The two Effects operations are next to each other and have similar icons
but do completely different things.  It would be better to separate
them, and change the hover text for the first to "Make picture gray"

I know, I know, "File bugs".  What do kids make of Paint?

--
=S Page