8.2.0 deployments

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 12:24:43 EDT 2008

Hi Bert,

Thanks for asking. Its been a moving target, as a lot depends on the
release date and the changing status of the various deployments. It also
depends on the release date for 8.2.1.

That said, I definitely should have posted that sooner!

In short the target customers who are likely to use this release are as
follows. All subject to change and confirmation in each place.

- G1G1 (US first then EU and Canada)
- Haiti
- Rwanda
- Mongolia
- Birmingham (?)
- Paraguay
- Peru
- Oceania

I'm not sure if Pia is able to upgrade from her pre-release image but
I'm including Oceania anyway.

What I expect to happen in all cases is that they get the final image
then they start testing it for their deployments. If they find show
stoppers or critical issues they will consider waiting for 8.2.1. The
8.2.1 decision will be based primarily on two things:
- Date including when it will be released and when they have a window of
opportunity to upgrade.
- Bug fixes including how much has changed beyond what they specifically
asked for. That is they need to gauge the chance of a regression which
affects them vs. the value of the fixes they want.

For example, last I have heard Rwanda likes the release but they already
sent 5K XOs in to schools with 708. They will get them back and have a
chance to re-image them starting November 1. As it stands today I think
they would use 8.2 but if they find an important issue and 8.2.1 is
available by November, 1 and they can test it and verify it, then they
would use that instead.

I updated the main future releases page with the target customer list.
I'm overdue for a major update on the deployments page too. Will try to
do that ASAP.

BTW Turkey is not on the list AFAIK but I have not had a lot of direct
contact with them. I will find the lead contact and get back to you on
them specifically.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

BTW For all, don't hesitate to ask any time a developer needs info on
the users' deployment status, open requests or desires or anything else.
If its something you need in order to decide what to work on and its
holding up your progress, I'll investigate it for you ASAP.

Thanks,

Greg S