Emulating 8.2 images on QEMU for windows

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 11:42:28 EDT 2008

Mel,

You (and anybody else interested) can find my version of QEMU for Windows
which runs 8.2 and joyride images successfully here:
http://www.v-overbeek.nl/XO-1/qemu-svn-4887-for-windows.zip .
Below the README from the zip file:
        QEMU for running 8.2 XO-1 devel-ext3 images on Windows

Here is my privately compiled version of qemu based on snapshot svn-4887.
See http://savannah.nongnu.org/svn/?group=qemu .
I have only used it on Windows XP/SP2, but it most likely will work under
Windows Vista.

Installing qemu
---------------

Make sure the following files are all in the same directory:
qemu.exe
fmod.dll
SDL.dll
mwgz.dll
bios.bin
vgabios-cirrus.bin
qemu-img.exe (optional)

This will allow you to run qemu, but slowly. It is recommended to use the
kqemu accelaratiob module. You'll find a version compatible with this
version
of qemu in the subdirectory kqemu-1.4.0pre1.

Before installing this version, uninstall any previous versions of kqemu !
The kqemu supplied with the released 0.9.1 version is not compatible
with this version of qemu.

In the kqemu-1.4.0pre1 directory right click kqemu.inf and select Install.
See also http://bellard.org/qemu/kqemu-doc.html .

The service can be started by the command 'net start kqemu'. it should
report
"The KQEMU virtualisation module for QEMU service was started successfully."
on Win XP/SP2

Running qemu
------------

Make sure the kqemu accelerator is running (see above).

To run qemu for an XO-1 image use  commands like:
------
net start kqemu
qemu -L . -cpu athlon -m 512 -net nic,model=rtl8139 -soundhw es1370
xo-1-olpc-stream-8.2-763-devel_ext3.img
------
The important option is '-cpu athlon'.
If you forget this option you will get the following messages:
        This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU
        3dnow
        Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.

For other options see the qemu documentation.

Happy emulating XO-1 images!

Ton van Overbeek, 2008-09-24.
tvoverbeek at gmail.com