Firefox and Browse and xulrunner on 8.2.0

S Page info at skierpage.com
Sun Sep 21 03:57:08 EDT 2008

Using 8.2-760 with the Firefox-6 and Browse 96 that Software update
installed, I noticed some things.  No show-stoppers.

* Firefox-6 doesn't use the gnash and totem plug-ins that are
pre-installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  I filed
<http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8593> with a workaround, maybe that or a
better workaround could go in Release_notes/8.2.0.

* Firefox-6 includes many libraries that are already in
/usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9 , seems there is an opportunity to save
memory/disk by building it to use the system xulrunner.  I filed
enhancement <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8583>

* I noticed the lib*.so's in the Firefox-6 activity are much smaller
than the ones in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9, I wonder how it was configured
to produce smaller files.

* /usr/lib/xulrunner and thus Browse is at version 1.9 but mozilla core
1.9.0.1 is released with security fixes, that's what the Firefox-6
activity uses.  I filed <http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8594> , an 8.2.1
candidate?

* After starting and stopping Firefox several times I've got two gray
circles (the generic 'X' application icon?) stuck in the Frame.
Choosing Resume or Stop from their menus does nothing.  Is this a known
bug?  Is there a way to get rid of them?

* From the thread "build 8.2-760,	Read activity and ebook mode",
> you must first put focus on the document (clicking on the
> page, or hitting tab a couple of times will do it). Hmmm, maybe this
> is worth a trac ticket as it's going to catch folks out.
Did anyone file a bug?  The Help and Browse activities also suffer from
this.

* Out of curiosity I tried running chatzilla (a simple "Powered by
mozilla" application) using the system xulrunner.
     (download http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/
     unzip
     cd /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9
     xulrunner -app path/to/chatzilla/application.ini )
Good news: despite some errors in the console about timemodule.so, it
worked.  The benefit is the memory and disk sharing.

* I assume the Help-6.xo application also shares code, since it's using
Hulahop that Browse uses.  But top shows
   VIRT   RES   SHR
   132m   37m   11m  Browse
   121m   36m   11m  xulrunner (i.e. chatzilla)
   130m   30m  7096  Help
Should Help be sharing more memory, or am I just clueless on top[*] ?

Cheers,
--
=S Page
[*] "Clueless on Top", yet another independent documentary movie coming