G1G1 Pre-installed Activities

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Sep 20 21:34:54 EDT 2008

>> In fact, there is a great deal of data from the field in the form of
>> the activity packs that Peru, Uruguay, et al. developed.
> I'm not convinced that they are well-tested.  They included News Reader,
> which hasn't worked for the last several releases.

News Reader is a strange bird.  In developed countries (e.g., for
G1G1v2), much information is available as RSS feeds.  Therefore the
XO *should* have an RSS-accessing activity.

 From Dec 2007 on, I have always had trouble getting News Reader to
"see" __any__ RSS feed.  It normally tells me something like "there
ain't no such thing".  HOWEVER, the percentage of attempts that have
been failing has been decreasing over time -- for me, News Reader
works much more reliably in recent Joyride than it did in Update.1.

Last time I used NewsReader was at approximately Joyride 2444 - it
worked for me then.  [To run News Reader, I need to go someplace
with an AP.]  I seem to remember it having worked for me on 759 as well.

mikus