build 8.2-760, Read activity and ebook mode - how to make them work together?

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Thu Sep 18 18:58:41 EDT 2008

> Another possible option, for general use, which we've discussed in the
> past is a palette dedicated to keyboard mappings, revealing a user
> configurable set of actions.  This would make it possible to see all
> of the shortcuts for an activity in one consistent place, and even
> allow the user to adjust them on the fly to suit their tastes (which
> might be good, if the mnemonics, for instance, are designed for
> another language.)  This, of course, requires an API so that
> activities can expose lists of available "functions", and then make
> use of the new mappings throughout their activity.

I would vote against it. Simply make shortcuts/accelerators/mnemonics
translatable and require activity authors to think about the usability
of their applications. This standardized "function" thing seems a little
bit over designed, and the keyboard mapping setting palette is a
complication. I do not know what programs are you planning for the XO,
but I can hardly think about anything which would require this level of
customization (and as we all know, customization has a price, less
simplicity).
See, actually I do not have much weight in this conversation since I
will not be the man who will code this thing. Another problem is that
the only application where I have ever customized the keys was Visual
Studio so I could be a little bit biased.