testing 8.2 using qemu

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:13:35 EDT 2008

Michael,

Thank you for the links. Actually I had already visited links 2 and 3
doing a search on rainbow in the wiki. Unfortuantely I was unable to
understand what rainbow means from an activity developer's point of
view with the information shown there.

My situation is this: the activity reads a configuration file in a
directory called datos/ that is part of the bundle (it gets installed
in ~/Activities/conozco-uruguay.activity/datos). Apparently this is
what is not working any longer. What I understood from the
documentation is that the activity is run with a separate uid and gid
so permissions may get in the way of proper file access. I don't
understand why this happens given that the directory and the files are
readable by everyone.

Second issue: a very simple question, what does
$SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT/data mean? and how can I put the configuration
files there when I pack the bundle?

I want to have a configuration file included in the bundle and then be
able to read it when running the activity. This is a very basic thing
and in my opinion should be clear in the documentation.

If you combine the following facts:
1) there was a change in Sugar (apparently the introduction of
rainbow) that broke an otherwise working activity,
2) I was notified by Erik during Ceibal Jam, otherwise I would've
never been aware of this,
3) there was no clear information on how to fix it, and
4) the qemu images were not working and I was unable to test 8.2,
it all adds up to a big frustration.

I'm concerned that this doesn't help create a strong developer
community. It takes too much time and effort to find out how to do
simple things.

Thank you for reading this,

Gabriel