testing 8.2 using qemu

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:05:20 EDT 2008

Michael Stone wrote:
> Gabriel,
>
> To understand Rainbow, start by reading
>
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Security
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Security
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rainbow
>
> or by asking people about it on IRC.
>
> Michael
>
> P.S. - You wrote that
>

>> Since there is little documentation on rainbow (I still don't
>> know what it is and why including it broke the activity) I'm going to
>> follow a hack suggested by brian...
>>

> Could you tell me a bit about where and how you looked for documentation
> so that I can try to put documentation that exists in places where you
> would have found it (or create new documentation if needed)?

Michael,

Although I am not Gabriel, I do have some viewpoints on the questions
you asked.

If you do not know where to look it is difficult to find the rainbow
isolation information
(uid pool, gid pool, which directories are writable, etc. compared with
a classic Unix/Linux system).
I would expect a basic description of the rainbow model from the
activity developer point of view
already linked to from the main Developers page
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers),
since there is where you would start to look beginning from the left
hand navigation on the wiki.

More info or links to the pages you mention could be included on
Developers/Issues and
Developers/FAQ pages.

There is also some related info on the sugar-almanac pages. These (the
sugar-almanac pages)
should also be linked to from the main Developers and the
Developers/Documentation page.

Just my 5 cents.

Ton van Overbeek