VideoChat-7 release

Stephen Thorne stephen.thorne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:17:39 EDT 2008

G'day,

I'm pleased to announce that I've had a successful Video conversation, and
am releasing the .xo file that is the result of this weeks hard labour.

Because of various incompatibilities, mostly due to Record depending on a
earlier version of Gstreamer, I have decided to package all the dependencies
of VideoChat inside the Activity itself.

Many many atrocious hacks were committed getting this to work, I hope to get
many of the required dependancies into the build, which should lighten this
activity from 8mb compressed, 23mb uncompressed to the few hundred kb it
should be.

Video negotiates as h263 using the ffmpeg libs. Audio is sent using speex.

This has only been tested on build 8.2-760.

Known bugs:
 * It is an absolute requirement that you be connected to a jabber server in
order to have a video conversation. The activity will just pulse and stop if
you aren't connected.
 * There is no way to stop a conversation without quitting one end.
 * Sometimes telepathy-stream-engine does die on exit of VideoChat, and X
needs to be restarted, or sudo killall telepathy-stream-engine is required.

Unknown bugs:
 * report to me, and trac, please. Patches appreciated. Logs appreciated.

XO file: http://suqld.org.au/~stephen/VideoChat-7.xo

--
Stephen Thorne

"Give me enough bandwidth and a place to sit and I will move the world."
--Jonathan Lange