Peru and Microsoft announcement

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:41:19 EDT 2008

Thanks for talking to us.

This would be even more useful as the basis for an article or
editorial in one or more of the computer magazines or Web sites, or a
fact-filled press release. All of the media people I have talked with
say they would like to hear from OLPC.

We don't have to frame it as us vs. them. We can just announce the
state of current deployments, and discuss plans for future deployments
and G1G1, including whatever can be said in public about the Microsoft
trials. Everybody wants to know what's up with the Amazon deal, too.

2008/9/16 Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org>:
> Folks -
>
> There have been a number of questions about press coverage late last week
> from Peru concerning the introduction of XO laptops running XP and Office.
>  Microsoft has previously ordered a number of XO laptops for XP testing and
> pilot deployment.  The usage and distribution of these machines for that
> effort is up to Microsoft, and that's what they're doing in Peru.  This
> activity is not news, but is just a stage in Microsoft's plans as they were
> announced back in May:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/may08/05-15MSOLPCPR.mspx
>
> There are a number of milestones yet to be achieved before XP can be made
> widely available on XO machines in any form, from any source.   The work
> involved will require at least more several months to complete.  Microsoft
> and OLPC announced in May that we'd work to make XP available in a future XO
> dual-boot configuration, and nothing has changed about that situation.
>
>      - Ed
>
> Ed McNierney
> Vice President of Software Development
> One Laptop Per Child
> ed at laptop.org

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children