XOs resisting activation

Douglas Bagnall douglas at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 16 06:13:32 EDT 2008

In an effort to test the activation server on the new Fedora 9 based
XS, I enabled security on a couple of laptops without leases.

I was expecting them to go through their routine of checking USB, SD
and network for leases, but instead they went straight to a sad face
and a "shutdown in 10 seconds" message.  This happened whether or not
the USB was inserted or network was available.

Now, I'm a bit befuddled by illness so it's possible that I missed out
some vital step, though I really don't think so.

I don't have the laptops in front of me, but they were fresh from
Martin's Saturday testing, which I think means they were running
8.2-759 and q2e17.  One is a C2 and the other a B4.

Is there something new in the firmware or init?  Workarounds?  Am I
missing something obvious?

douglas