A working TuxPaint-2.xo for 8.1 and 8.2, how to update the wiki?

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:38:36 EDT 2008

Ton van Overbeek writes:

> This version (TuxPaint-2) of TuxPaint for the OLPC-XO fixes several issues
> with the original version (TuxPaint-1) by Albert Calahan.

Uh, are you intending to take over? I haven't seen any discussion on
the tuxpaint-devel mailing list, on #tux4kids, or elsewhere.

I have been working on a TuxPaint-2.xo for a while now. Am I supposed
to abandon that effort, release it anyway, skip a version number...?

BTW, the name is spelled "Cahalan".

> The following issues are fixed in this release:
> - Internationalization works out of the box. In TuxPaint-1 there was a typo
>   which caused TuxPaint to look in a parallel tree under TuxPaint.activity.
>   (note the trailing dot) for the localized files (.mo and fonts).

I believe this was fixed when I checked in some Makefile changes.
I have not rebuilt the *.xo since I fixed the Makefile.

BTW, perhaps I'm being too picky, but I'm trying to get Tux Paint
sources in CVS to support building a *.xo with one command and a
minimum of hacks. This is a good part of the reason for the delay.
TuxPaint-1.xo is not very reproducable; plenty of manual work was
required to create it.

> - Added the needed libpaper.so in the bundle and modified sugarize.c to add
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH so tuxpaint can find the library.

I didn't do that for several reasons:

1. license issues
2. version control issues
3. can't set up /etc with the right printer info

If libpaper isn't in the base system, then I don't want to use it.
I have two other choices. I can rip out printing. I can revert to
some older code which directly generates postscript.

Assuming that printing support is even desirable, reverting to the
old code (plus bug fix) looks best. That way, there is little need
to worry about paper sizes.

> Other changes:
> - Added support for svg (scalable vector graphics) stamps.

Which library? Which *-devel packages must be installed?

> - To save space, keep only the smallest version of a stamp if both svg
> and png
>   versions are available.
> - Removed development related files in the bundle. The full source is in
>   TuxPaint-2.xo.tar.bz2.

This really should happen in the main Makefile, via not copying
them in the first place.

> - Updated activity.info with license information.

Be careful. Tux Paint is not 100% GPL, though it's 100% Free Software.

> - Added permissions.info with constant-uid option for 8.2 release.

Why is this needed?