Speech to Text Support in OLPC

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 14:12:14 EDT 2008

Hello

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:20 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Opinion follows.
>
> This will be interesting.
>
> Children learn to talk in whatever way meets their needs.  Before
> talking, they learn the exact pitch to annoy the heck out of their
> parents ... not sure what the mechanism is, probably just trial and
> error, over days and months, but they end up generating sound that
> matches the hearing of their caring adults.
>
> A friend of mine has degraded hearing and a cochlear implant, her
> hearing frequency response is very narrow.  Her children have learned to
> speak within that frequency band and accentuate the sounds that she can
> hear, suppressing the sounds that she cannot.  Her children sound
> strange to others when they do this.
>
> With a speech to text capability on the XO, no matter how bad it is, the
> result may be that children learn to speak in exactly the way that
> yields the best result.

I guess that should help in developing a child's adaptability.Good
point! XO not being very powerful we might not be able to run the
software very optimally.

> A whole generation will sound different when we meet them.  Fantastic.

Eventually we'll only know by implementation that how well our
software is functioning and how much does the child have to actually
scream. :)

> This also means it might not be necessary to have the speech to text
> capability work with existing version adults.

That makes life a little easier I guess.

Regards
Satya