XO screen pulses after "standby", OOM afterwards

S Page info at skierpage.com
Sun Sep 14 19:42:08 EDT 2008

Twice with 8.2-759 my G1G1 machine has had the screen flash on and off
coming out of a "standby" (screen off) state.  The second time seemed a
memory pressure state, I typed some memory commands at random and saved
the output at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Skierpage/out-of-memory

The pulsings happened after I left my XO disconnected from power and it
went dead, so much so that I had to do a
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Full_Reset.  But the laptop was running
fine before the screen went off.  Both times:

* Screen is off, but IIRC the green power light is on.

* I press the power on button, nothing happens.  So press it some more,
also press some random keyboard keys.

* Then the screen flashes on for less than a second, goes blank for
about 40 seconds, flashes on, goes blank for 40 seconds...  The first
time the screen flashed at least 10 times before staying on, this time
it flashed at least three times.

Both times it feels as if the laptop is so sluggish that it's queued up
my power button presses.

The second time (as I write this) the laptop seems extremely slow
afterwards.  I started Terminal Activity and it's taken over 3 minutes
to start.  `free` reports total 235748, used 230248, free 5500.

It's odd that both times my XO was chugging along fine before it went
into "standby", so if it's a memory problem the laptop ran out of memory
while I wasn't doing anything!?  I think both times I had "Automatic
power management" on, but not "Extreme power management".

Unfortunately I couldn't find a guide what to do if your XO is
out-of-memory! I ran `ps alx/free/ps_mem.py`, again after killing Write,
then after restarting X and Sugar, and then after a reboot.  I saved the
results at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Skierpage/out-of-memory

If there are useful steps testers should follow when their XO goes slow
as molasses, point me to them, I'll put it on the wiki.

BTW, I've now upgraded to 8.2-760.  olpc-upgrade was flawless!

Cheers,
--
=S Page   user:skierpage