Speech to Text Support in OLPC

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 17:14:37 EDT 2008

Hello

> There is none, and we would be delighted to have it. We are
> integrating TTS into activities, combined with karaoke-style text
> highlighting inspired by the Indian Same-Language Subtitling (SLS)
> program for Bollywood musicals and TV singalongs.

This involves work on developing a good model in Hindi and of course
for other languages for the corresponding tasks.

>> And whether the OLPC cmmunity would be
>> interested in having a speech to text support
>
> We want the XO to provide a full set of functions for the
> non-literate, including those who missed going to school and those not
> yet entering school. Some Activities use no language, and are already
> usable by pre-school children. Every Activity that allows text entry,
> whether Write, Browse, Chat, or anything else, should allow users to
> speak or spell their input, with appropriate error correction.

I guess we can start out with a very basic activity as a first
deliverable. The first implementation may not be very optimal so a
simple activity can be used to test it out.

> It should also be possible to substitute spoken commands for pushing
> buttons not on the keyboard, for clicking icons and for making menu
> selections.

DBUS + Julius will make it happen. :)

> It is not only the non-literate who will benefit. STT is essential for
> accessibility by the disabled (blind, in some cases, and physically or
> neurologically impaired), and can be important for hands-free
> operation and data entry in a variety of situations.

Simon ( http://www.simon-listens.org ) is a project that's using
Julius on the same lines.

> We should also think of creating speech-only Activities. ReadMeAStory,
> for example, or PlayMeASong. Word games. Voice chat.

Got too excited seeing so many amazing possible utilities that could
not think of anything apart from awesome :)

Regards
Satya