Speech to Text Support in OLPC

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 15:53:42 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:09 AM, satya komaragiri
<satya.komaragiri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> @ Assim and Chris: Thank you for your response :)
>
> I'll be really grateful if you could tell me what the current scenario
> for Speech to text on XO is.

There is none, and we would be delighted to have it. We are
integrating TTS into activities, combined with karaoke-style text
highlighting inspired by the Indian Same-Language Subtitling (SLS)
program for Bollywood musicals and TV singalongs.

> And whether the OLPC cmmunity would be
> interested in having a speech to text support

We want the XO to provide a full set of functions for the
non-literate, including those who missed going to school and those not
yet entering school. Some Activities use no language, and are already
usable by pre-school children. Every Activity that allows text entry,
whether Write, Browse, Chat, or anything else, should allow users to
speak or spell their input, with appropriate error correction.

It should also be possible to substitute spoken commands for pushing
buttons not on the keyboard, for clicking icons and for making menu
selections.

It is not only the non-literate who will benefit. STT is essential for
accessibility by the disabled (blind, in some cases, and physically or
neurologically impaired), and can be important for hands-free
operation and data entry in a variety of situations.

We should also think of creating speech-only Activities. ReadMeAStory,
for example, or PlayMeASong. Word games. Voice chat.

> Thanks
> Satya

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama by 70 in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children