Stability and Memory Pressure in 8.2

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:22:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Memory voodo...

Very interesting voodoo though. Can I hint at a different track?

In my (anecdotal) experience, I'd say that the OOMs I've seen were
quite sudden, and kicked the system in the gut (OOM killer killed
either the activity or some major system component) before I could say
"ah, this is getting laggy".

So a moderate grow in memory footprint is not likely to be the
problem. My suspicion is that some *very common* operation in the UI
or our APIs has the potential to eat up a big chunk of your memory
very quickly. For example: perhaps switching screens a few times in a
row (with the screencap hook we now have in Sugar) adds a lot of
memory pressure? Does the screencap hook get triggered on frame
view/hide?

Will keep an eye on it for this weekend test run.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions