Scratch localization.

John Maloney jmaloney at media.mit.edu
Thu Sep 11 17:37:48 EDT 2008

Hi, Erik.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I was on vacation, then
finishing the Scratch 1.3 release.

Scratch remembers the last language set by the user in the Scratch.ini
file. If that file is read-only, it fails gracefully.

In older versions of Scratch (such as the current XO version), if no
language was specified in the Scratch.ini file, Scratch would start up
in English. However, it now uses the Squeak LocalePlugin to set the
default language. So if the computer's locale is set to Spanish,
Scratch should start up in Spanish. This feature has not yet been
tested on Linux, but it does work on Mac OS and Windows.

Many thanks to the Squeak folks for creating the LocalePlugin!

So I think things may work fine as they are, once we've updated XO
Scratch to the 1.3 release. (I'm working on that now, with help from
Scott if he is willing).

Scratch does not need to write persistent data to any other files.

(It does need to write user projects somewhere, but Scott has solved
that problem for now.)

	-- John