Announce: WikipediaEN.xo

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Sep 10 18:23:43 EDT 2008

Hi,

We now have an English offline Wikipedia snapshot, available here:

   http://dev.laptop.org/~cjb/enwiki/WikipediaEN-2.xo

Feedback appreciated!  Known bugs are crashes due to out-of-memory
conditions when using Joyride builds, and a Rainbow warning dialog
due to a Hulahop bug¹.  We're thinking about shipping this with G1G1
machines, so let me know if you find pages with inappropriate content
(images aren't currently included in the snapshot, so we don't have to
worry about those yet).  The archive has the top 8,000 English Wikipedia
articles as ranked by the Wikipedia 0.7 release team².

Thanks to Madeleine Ball for preparing the snapshot, and Martin Walker
and the Wikipedia 0.7 release team for making the article selection.

- Chris.

¹:  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8318
²:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Release_Version
--