Libertas firmware on F9 for the XS

Deepak Saxena dsaxena at laptop.org
Wed Sep 10 14:21:08 EDT 2008

On Sep 10 2008, at 11:04, Martin Langhoff was caught saying:
> Now that I have a F9-based XS build, I've dropped the custom-compiled
> driver and the firmware for Libertas, hoping to use the stock standard
> F9.
>
> But that might be a bit optimistic :-)
>
> After a quick check it looks like the XO images are shipping newer
> Libertas firmware as you can see below. The XO builds also have a few
> problems with the Firmware too, so I'm not entirely sure what to do...
>
> - F9 libertas-usb8388-firmware-5.111.20.p49-1
> - F9/XO (8.2-759) libertas-usb8388-firmware-5.111.22.p18-1
>
> The main question for Libertas experts from the POV of the XS is: what
> firmware is most stable? On the XS power consumption and sleep are not
> high priority. Stability and performance over long periods of time is.
>
> Also - should I look at replacing / recompiling the driver that F9
> ships? (Hoping not...) If you say yes, be aware it is a major
> maintenance hassle for the already short-handed XS team, so I'll want
> to know what benefits it brings.

I think for both FW and kernel driver, it depends on what features
you need.

For the XO 8.2 kernel we had to pull forward some patches from the stable
2.6.22 branch that are not upstream to get multicast RX to work properly
(#7319).

Firmware wise, .22 includes a fix for #7973.

~Deepak

Deepak Saxena - Kernel Developer - dsaxena at laptop.org