#8240 NORM 9.1.0: Implement a dynamic tabbing stack, to allow ping-pong shortcut

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:23:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Zarro Boogs per Child
<bugtracker at laptop.org> wrote:
> #8240: Implement a dynamic tabbing stack, to allow ping-pong shortcut
> --------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>   Reporter:  mikus             |       Owner:  Eben
>       Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new
>  Component:  interface-design  |     Version:  not specified
>  Resolution:                    |    Keywords:
> Next_action:  design            |    Verified:  0
>  Blockedby:                    |    Blocking:
> --------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
>
> Comment(by mikus):
>
>  Having, through repetition and experience, learned what alt-tab does
>  (cycle predictably through the open sessions) I personally don't want to
>  have to learn something different about alt-tab.  That is why I proposed a
>  *new* sequence for my ping-pong enhancement.

I actually disagree, as I find it unnecessary to add yet another way
to switch activities.  I think having alt-tab for cycling all
activities and alt-backtick for cycling all instances of a given
activity type is enough.  It's better in my mind to create a model
which covers as many use cases as possible than to add more models.

>  And I disagree with putting 'dynamic tabbing stack' into the ticket #8240
>  summary description.  "Going back to where I came from" is a concept I can
>  understand.  Having a __dynamic__ stack, which one has to inspect to
>  determine "which (baseball) runner has now advanced to second base", goes
>  beyond my understanding (and methinks, that of a kid).

Well, I can understand what you mean.  However, I'm surprised then
that you didn't complain when the first Sugar alt-tab behavior used a
fixed stack.  ;) I'm pretty sure that the dynamic stack I mention here
is used in most other desktops; you just might not realize it, since
it's a convenience feature.  The ping-pong behavior you mention is, as
I see it, a subset of this tabbing behavior, and not logically
separate from it.  It puts "things I'm likely to care more about"
closer to me (fewer keystrokes away).

- Eben