8.2-759 Running 'Software update' to upgrade from Measure 17 to Measure 19 restarts sugar.

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Sep 8 10:58:42 EDT 2008

On 7 Sep 2008, at 07:07, rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:

> Running "Software update" indicates that there is an update from
> Measure 17 to Measure 19.
> When I click "Install selected" Sugar restarts.
> Then when I try Software update again and attempt to install Measure
> 19 it just refreshes but never successfully does the install.
> I can loop over and over clicking "Install selected" in this
> secenario.

Yea was annoying me too, especially as v17 does not work on current
dev builds...

Anyway after a little poking I:

a) Noticed that the Measure wiki page is full of HUGE images shown a
teeny tiny thumbnails, so huge and numerous are they that it will bomb
out Browse if you try to visit with an XO (machine locks up for ~5min
and then something finally explodes causing an X reboot).

b) Noticed that Measure-19.xo is available, but was actually pointing
to Measure-17.xo from the wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities main page.

Having corrected the wiki links for b) the auto updater now correctly
installs v19 :-) And even better than that Measure-v19 is now working
again on dev builds :-D

Still thinking about fixing the Measure wiki images a) now, but just
wanted to point out the issue as I've seen a bunch of other wiki pages
that have huge images pretending to be little thumbnails, the XO's and
their small memory footprints are not happy with such things -
actually the page renders pretty roughly on a 1.5Ghz with 2Gb Ram so
I'm not surprised the XO has trouble.

Hmmm... I wonder if Browse should add back a very old school idea with
a button to disable image downloading, would at least allow an overly
image rich wiki page to be corrected by an XO only user, and might
help in bandwidth restrictive deployment scenarios.

--Gary