Font problems (affecting Java and others?)

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 7 21:34:01 EDT 2008

Alan Eliasen wrote:
>     I'm working on making it possible to get Java to run on the OLPC,
> and have a solution to what many of you may have seen:  the problem that
> any Java program uses a strange italicized serif font, no matter what
> font you request.  This odd font is used everywhere, and no other fonts
> seem to work.

    Update:  I have filed bug http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8348 for this
issue, if you'd rather respond there.

    I have also done further research, and OpenJDK's font configuration
file points at many fonts that aren't distributed on the OLPC, including
fonts for Bengali, Malayalam, Tamil, etc.  These will need to be fixed
or added also.

--
   Alan Eliasen              |  "Furious activity is no substitute
   eliasen at mindspring.com    |    for understanding."