[sugar] Question about clipboard service

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 16:37:31 EDT 2008

Hi Eben,

I'm resurrecting an old thread here.

BTW if you have any more specs or design proposals to share, now is a
good time to consider them for 9.1-sugar .84 so send them out.

I see where you are going with this work flow for kids writing on their
own then coming together. It could work but it feels like we are forcing
the kids to adapt to the technology rather than having the technology
adapt to the way kids learn.

Having the two instances of the activity open and moving back and forth
between them seems especially inelegant.

That said, I don't have a better idea readily available :-(. I think we
should go back to fundamentals and think this through one more time.

How do kids collaborate on projects with pencil and paper? Is anyone on
the list a teacher? I'll run it by my own kids but I think we need to
watch this process in action to get a better feel for it.

I can't remember any times when my kids wrote something at home then
brought it in to class then combined it in to a project. They usually do
some research, come up with ideas then write it together in person.

I believe that when kids get together in a group, one kid takes the lead
and does most of the writig while others shout out ideas and make
suggestions.

We don't have to imitate how its done now, but maybe watching kids
interact will help inform the design. One thing you hear a lot is that
kids teach each other how to use the XO better than teachers teach them.
What does that look like in detail? One kid leans over and types on
another kids keyboard or she tells the other kid what to do?

May be the right design is to have each kid open write (or a web page?)
and then they click a button and everything on their screen is copied in
to the shared version which they now also see. Sort of a fast start
option. Then kids edit that down to a final product. A dump everything
in then prune it down approach. That's my working methodology (see 9.1
page :-) but my brain is way different than a kids...

Time to crack open the Piaget again. Maybe this one will inspire some
new design ideas:
http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Conception-Space-Jean-Piaget/dp/0393004082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220645614&sr=8-1

Minsky, Papert or other references welcome too.

I believe there have been some "blackboard" or shared space ideas kicked
around in the past. Does anyone have a link to those?

I know its a fuzzy question but I wanted to throw it out so we think
about it from the ground up while we still have time. For now, we stick
with your design until someone comes up something better...

Have a great weekend,

Greg S