How did the testing go on 8.2-757?

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 14:13:28 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We're working on the next pre-release candidate image. Will alert on
that as soon as we know more.

There will only be a few more before we call it done!

How did the testing go on 8.2-757?

Links to download instructions, testing and bug reporting conventions
and a brief write up of smoke test results can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing

Please send in a quick note if you tried it and include any general or
specific impressions. Bug filings are welcome too.

I'm especially interested in comments on:
- crashes or hard freezes
- activities that work or don't work
- software updater
- performance in terms of GUI responsiveness

Is this release more "solid and reliable" than 70x?

Would you ship this one to 500K kids who never used a computer before?

If not now, what would you want fixed before shipping (remember the kids
are waiting and they are not very patient :-) ?

BTW these are theoretical questions. We are not ready to use an Apache
style, loose consensus or anything like that. I'm asking to get as much
data as possible to make a decision. Please don't take it personally if
we can't do what you suggest in response to the questions above.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greg S