Frimware Q2E15 and Joyride-2368, good and bad

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 22:07:52 EDT 2008

C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Ton van Overbeek <tvoverbeek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The bad:
>> - Bounce (aka 3Dpong) has become completely unplayable. The screen
>> update is very jerky.
>>  In earlier builds it was smooth.
>>  Something to do with the X-server changes for Etoys?
>>

> No X changes were made to the joyride stream, except the X corruption
> fixes by dsd -- but they shouldn't slow down X refresh.  dsd,
> comments?

Something changed. When looking with top (logged in with ssh on an other
computer) I see that
when running Bounce the cpu is at 100%, with 60-65% on X (!!!) and only
30-35% on Bounce.hi
It seems something is hogging X.
This is on joyride-2379
Under 8.1 the X consumption is far less and Bounce updates smoothly.

I also tried Bridge (Daniels physics jam game). On 2379 no sound. On
Update 1 Bridge works with sound.
Same for Bounce, no sound in 8.2, sound in 8.1.
Something with pygame/olpcgame sound ???

Ton van Overbeek