How to get packages on the 8.2 branch?

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Tue Sep 2 14:54:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 6:18 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
>> <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What do we need to do to get packages on the stable 8.2 branch?
>>
>> That's a good question.  I assume we use the process we used for 8.1,
>> which is that you create a trac bug naming the exact package you want
>> and the reason for its inclusion, and assign it to ApprovalForUpdate.
>> When Michael et al approve it, they assign it to me to pull into the
>> stable repository.  (This is documented on the wiki somewhere, but my
>> internet access is poor at the moment.  Maybe Michael can help.)
>
> Sounds good.

Marco found it for me: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update.1_process

But in our release meeting today on IRC, we've come up with a slightly
different process:  there is a new 'approve for release' entry in the
"Action Needed" field in trac.  Assign your bug to "approve for
release" (and milestone to 8.2.0) and the release manager (Michael,
for 8.2) will look at your bug, probably make you justify its
inclusion or be more specific about what package you want pulled, and
then assign "Action Needed" to "add to build".  I'll do a trac search
for bugs assigned to "add to build" and milestone "8.2.0" before I
make a stable build.

Michael promised to write this up on the wiki and send a proper email
later today, including details on what, exactly, will "satisfy him"
enough to move your bug to "add to build".
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )