upgrading firmware ( Re: q2e15 released )

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Sep 1 10:06:23 EDT 2008

S Page wrote:

> == Three "latest" firmwares ==
>
> 1)Richard A. Smith wrote:
>> Q2e15 is up.  If you are running current joyride(s) and doing
>> auto-suspend/resume you need to upgrade.

This is the latest release, but largely untested and not signed.

#2 is the most tested, most stable firmware release.  Its what is
shipping in the latest image and will eventually end up as the factory
installed firmware.

#3 is the most recent signed release and is positioned to go into
testing. (It will most likely get replaced by q2e15).  From q2d12, q2d14
is the only option you have for upgrade on a secure machine.

> It seems q2d14 is the latest signed firmware.  Perhaps
> Template:Latest_Releases/firmware should only list the latest signed
>  stable firmware, as its _Firmware_ links to the Firmware page that
> lists all available firmware, latest (unsigned) first.  Do you agree?

No. I don't agree.  The level of testing between the 2 releases is
vastly different.  Just because its signed does not mean its endured
hours and hours of testing like q2e12 has.  Signing is only the start of
the process.

The q2e12 "Latest" should probably say something about being the latest
and most stable tested release and not just latest.  The newest signed
firmware needs some sort of marker that its proposed but only beginning
to enter testing and QA.

> == Sorting out the firmware upgrade pages ==
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware is for the general
> public.

All target file path info in the manual_install procedure is unnecessary.

/versions/boot/current/boot only matters for a secure machine.

You can use 'flash' from any path.  It does not have to be \boot.
\boot has some magic that happens if you put a signed firmware there or
if you put an olpc.fth file there

'flash u:\q2e15.rom' works just as good.

> latest stable release which usually delivers new firmware. * Refer
> developers to the Firmware page and then to each firmware's page for
> developer instructions.
>
> I hope that's OK.

Yes.  Waiting for the firmware in each release is the best option unless
the users wants to upgrade to get a bugfix.

> ==> Does every build tree and image always include some firmware in
> boot/bootfw.zip ?

Yes.

> There's also http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_the_firmware. ==> Is
> that page obsolete now that each firmware's page transcludes
> Manual_Firmware_Install?

Yes that page is obsolete now.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>