Incorrectly titled General Release Notes page on wiki

S Page info at skierpage.com
Mon Sep 1 03:43:56 EDT 2008

rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:
> While searching  wiki.laptop.org I came across a build 650 Release Note
> page which is unfortunately named "General Release Notes"
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/General_Release_Notes
>
> It would be more appropriately named Release Notes for Build 650 so the
> naive are not mislead.

Thanks for the alert.  There already is a release notes page for build
650, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/7.1.0, which pointed the
general public back to this page.

I moved all its info into the "For the general public" section of
Release_notes/7.1.0, made it a redirect to that section, and fixed all
English links to it so they either point to the 7.1.0 release notes page
or to something more general.

==> Does anyone know if any pages on the XO, e.g. the "OLPC Library"
home page, have ever linked to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/General_Release_Notes ?

There's a mismatch between the XO and the wiki: it's easy to determine
that your XO is running, e.g. build 650 or build 708 (the canonical
instructions are in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_check_the_OS_and_firmware_versions).
But you don't know that this is the 7.1.0 ("ship.2") release or the
8.1.1 release unless you do some research.  I filed Trac ticket 8260.

Regards,
--
=S Page   user:skierpage