[sugar] Postponement of XOCamp Event to January

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Oct 30 15:11:54 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:06 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
> >> The OLPC XOCamp event being planned for November 17 – 21 is being
> postponed
> >> until January, 2009.  The Fedora FUDCON conference is in Boston on
> January 9
> >
> > As should be clear, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled.
> >
> > We will have Martin, Marco, Tomeu, and Bernie here the week of the
> > 17th (at least).  We should at least informally discuss 9.1 plans at
> > that time.
>
> From my point of view, the situation is not so messed up as it could
> be seen from inside.

Scott, I agree that from the outside, things don't appear as messed up as
you might feel.  One of our goals in attracting outside developers to Sugar
is predictability through planning.

Open source development can be chaotic at the best of time.  We can reduce
some of that chaos by 'planning the work, and, working the plan.' and then
doing it again.  We want to reduce as many decisions as possible to
policies, but no more.

My concern with the XOcamp was the speed with which it was being put
together.  Rather than being a long term planning tool, holding the XOcamp
was becoming a fire which needed to be extinguished.

The XOCamp has been delayed, but this doesn't mean we need to stop any
> work. Stuff that is going to be worked on in the near future can still
> be discussed as we have been doing to date. I personally am not fully
> convinced of the XOCamp idea, but Scott is a smart guy and, as I still
> haven't attended properly to one, am happy to give him the benefit of
> the doubt.

I also support the idea that Scott is a bright guy.  For some time I have
been trying to figure out how to engage him more effectively in upstream
sugar development:)

Some people from outside have decided to visit Boston for some days,