[sugar] 9.1 proposal: Language learning on the XO.

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Oct 30 11:31:59 EDT 2008

 FWIW.  I have had a number of high school teacher and university instructors ask about using the xo as a language learning appliance.  The two reoccurring themes have been:XO as a portable language lab.Ability to develop a language learning activity which could tailor itself to the needs of an individual learner. thanksdavid
On  10/28/2008, 20:04, Gary C Martin (gary at garycmartin.com) wrote:On 28 Oct 2008, at 23:46, Chris Ball wrote:  sugarGreaterThan Hi, sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan I'm learning Spanish at the moment, and I wish the XO made it easier sugarGreaterThan for me.  I don't have any knowledge of what the right way to do either sugarGreaterThan conventional or constructionist language learning on computers is; if sugarGreaterThan anyone has much experience with either, I'd love to hear about it. sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan I have some obvious candidates for software that could be produced in sugarGreaterThan mind: sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   * A method -- similar to Scott's recent GtkLabel overlay for   sugarGreaterThan allowing sugarGreaterThan     strings inside Sugar and activities to be translated -- that   sugarGreaterThan does a sugarGreaterThan     dictionary lookup of a word on the screen and overlays the sugarGreaterThan     translation of that word
into a local language.  This should be sugarGreaterThan     activity-agnostic, if possible.  For bonus points, translate sugarGreaterThan     phrases instead of just words. sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   * Perhaps some kind of Pronunciation Activity that gives you words sugarGreaterThan     in the target language, speaks them to you, explains what they sugarGreaterThan     mean in your local language, and asks you to speak them back, sugarGreaterThan     perhaps grading your response?  (All but the last part is already sugarGreaterThan     possible to do manually in the Words activity, but not in a sugarGreaterThan     structured way.) sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan   * Is there any free content that matches iconic images to words, sugarGreaterThan     so that language vocabulary could be taught even without textual sugarGreaterThan     translation to a local language? sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan Feel free to come up with questions/ideas around language learning on
sugarGreaterThan the XO in general in this thread, and they'll make it into the sugarGreaterThan conference talk.  Still being worked on by Urko, but functioned quite well last time I   tested on an XO. I set it up with a bunch of pathophysiology term   flash card type questions/answers:  	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Assimilate  sugarGreaterThan Thanks, sugarGreaterThan sugarGreaterThan - Chris. sugarGreaterThan --  sugarGreaterThan Chris Ball    sugarGreaterThan _______________________________________________ sugarGreaterThan Sugar mailing list sugarGreaterThan Sugar at lists.laptop.org sugarGreaterThan http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/sugar  _______________________________________________ Devel mailing list Devel at lists.laptop.org http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/devel