Allowing an activity to be launched multiple times in parallel

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Oct 29 22:41:21 EDT 2008

On 30 Oct 2008, at 00:06, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Carol Hussein Lerche wrote:
>> I think this is an example of behavior that should be
>> configurable.  Young
>> children are impatient and try to launch activities multiple times
>> when the
>> XO exhibits slow response (see the feedback from various field
>> workers,
>> including the letter from my daughter the kindergarten teacher last
>> April.)
>
> Please use 8.2.0.  This problem has been resolved in 8.2.0, by
> making each
> Activity launch take over the screen immediately.  In 8.2.0, users
> can see
> immediately that their click was registered, and cannot easily launch
> another instance until the current one finishes loading.

Yes.

Also the future feature where the Home view resumes activities by
default will have another large impact here. We should find a lot less
'noise' getting added to the Journal (make things easier to find).
Though this will come with an increased risk of children un-
intentionally re-editing previous works, perhaps a future datastore/
Journal with some level of version control (as has been discussed)
will solve that case if it does become an issue.

--Gary