Allowing an activity to be launched multiple times in parallel

Carol Hussein Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Wed Oct 29 20:02:55 EDT 2008

I don't disagree with the need to speed up the system.  However, browsing
with multiple tabs is a well known solution to the problem of having
multiple browser instances open, and we have tossed that out for some
reason.

2008/10/29 <david at lang.hm>

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Carol Hussein Lerche wrote:
>

>> I think this is an example of behavior that should be configurable.  Young
>> children are impatient and try to launch activities multiple times when
>> the
>> XO exhibits slow response (see the feedback from various field workers,
>> including the letter from my daughter the kindergarten teacher last
>> April.)
>> So perhaps there should be a setting that chooses behaviors suitable for a
>> young child as distinct from older children and adults.  Are there
>> frequent
>> occasions where multiple instances of the same activity are needed? or is
>> this an "advanced" behavior?
>>

> the right fix for this is to speed up the starting, not to force someone to
> 'unlock' their system to view two web pages.
>
> David Lang
>

>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>>  I think we should not run the activity if it's already running.  But
>>> there are cases such as when I'm running Browse, in which I have
>>> multiple sessions open.  Or sessions of paint.  It's complicated and
>>> probably should be left up to the user.  Someone might want to run two
>>> of anything.

>>> comic

>>> chooser

>>> are

>>> help

"The water won't clear up 'til we get the hogs out of the creek." -- Jim
Hightower