Anyone set up a client/server application using stream tubes?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Oct 28 12:38:28 EDT 2008

On 27.10.2008, at 08:29, Faisal Anwar wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check out Etoys further to see how it is done there.
> I've looked through Read already and have already documented a
> similar pattern in the Almanac. I was hoping to document some more
> advanced uses of stream tubes where users can share binary or large-
> sized data on demand (rather than just at startup for initializing
> an activity, which is what is done in Read). I've been finding it
> epecially challenging to use the stream tubes in conjunction with
> threads, which would allow such repeated sharing to occur without
> blocking the larger functionality of the activity.

Well, the thing about stream tubes is that it works basically just
like SSH forwarding. It took me a while to recognize it, but now it's
documented at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Tubes

So after setting up the tube you simply have a socket connection and
you can use that just like you would do in  any TCP-base application.
In fact, Etoys simply reuses its "old" pre-Sugar collaboration code
with stream tubes.

- Bert -