Thread on a new model for collaboration

Juliano Bittencourt juliano at lec.ufrgs.br
Mon Oct 27 17:40:52 EDT 2008

    Hello all,

    First of all I would like to bring some perspective to this
discussion. I don't want that this become a thread Amadis x Moodle,
because I think both don't have what is necessary to support change in
education on primary schools around the world. I composed this message
about collaboration because I really wanted to stress some ideas
internally before having an open discussion with the community.
    I agree with you about all the qualities  that moddle has
(functionality, inter-operation, community, etc). But that isn't my
point. Yet, I think these decision criterias are important, changing
education isn't about doing the same things in the same ways we did
before. Otherwise, Sugar would never exists, as an example.
    I also think that your argumentation is based on the idea that we
don't know moodle, and our ignorance is the reason why we are
criticizing it. Actually I've used Moodle for some time in different
situations  and I'm using other LMS/CMS systems for more than 10
years. I think Moodle is a nice tool for several contexts (like grad
and undergrad courses), but it isn't a good tool for primary
education. In this scenario, it really misses the point.
    AMADIS actually isn't really a product for widespread use. It is a
7 years umbrella research project that aims to answer one question:
What a web application should looks like to support constructionist
learning environments? My research group in Brazil is long know by our
research and work to promote and understand constructivism/
constructionism in our country. We wanted to know how to build web
tools that could support this learning environments at schools.
      In this trail we have developed at least 4 different web
applications, and the tool know as AMADIS is the one we re implemented
at least 5 times during this period based in the feedback of the
students. Our objective wasn't to create a production like tool, but
to deeply reflect about the possibilities of web and learning.
    During this time, the tool we find out had more impact for primary
schools students, was much more like SourceForge (site which I believe
is one of the best virtual web environments) than a CMS. Actually, I
think that school is already too much focused in courses, and we don't
need more tools to replicated this in the web And that is the
fundamental problem about CMS like systems. In my personal belief, and
in the practice of the research group I belong to, constructionism  in
practice is much more related to the development of depth long term
projects (and this is where SF is good) than to the management of
courses, assignments, tests, grades.
     I also believe that the number of tools isn't the most important
judgment criteria. Much more important than the number of tools is the
way you structure them inside your user interface. This isn't just
about how the make the UI more usable, but more important how to
reflect in the UI your main ideas about education.
      I expect this message helps to clarify my ideas,

Best

Juliano
the conspirator