Devel Digest, Vol 32, Issue 113

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:29:21 EDT 2008

Hi David,

Thanks for the detailed write up.

I created a Feature request for better eBook reader on the feature
roadmap page at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Better_eBook_reader

For requirements, I included a link to this thread and a few specific
items which came to mind.

If you have the time and inclination, could you update that requirement
with a bulleted set of things you think the reader should be able to
accomplish?

(e.g. flip pages one at a time, zoom, etc.).

If John or anyone else wants to start filling in the specification
section with design ideas that would be helpful too. Links to other
pages or inline is fine.

Thanks,

Greg S

 > > Note that you could have entered file:///media in Browse and
located the HTML
 > > files; I believe the links to other files would then have worked OK
but you'd
 > > have to wander around with the USB flash drive hanging out of your XO.

thanks, I'll have to give that a try. this should also work with a SD
card.

unfortunantly, the mere fact of plugging in the USB stick makes the
journal go through the entire thing and index it. this takes a significant
amount of time and the XO is unusable during this time (I ran into a few
min where the mouse didn't even respond)

 > > In an ideal world the book would be packaged as a single collection
(.xol)
 > > file, so downloading it would unpack it in ~/Library and add it to the
 > > content navigation in the OLPC Library home page.  You could try
 > > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_a_collection and
 > > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_bundle_making_script .

I'll look into these.

 > > (I put Little-Brother.xol on USB, it showed up in Journal, I chose
"Start"
 > > and this all happened and Browse displayed the e-book.)
 > >
 > > In this ideal world the .xol container would gain traction as an
e-book
 > > format and Bain, Project Gutenberg, and the other content
repositories would
 > > offer books as .xol bundles.

I just tried a quick google search and found three different .xol file
formats (an biometrics data format, a database format, and a map format),
and I'm still looking for the one that you are using for collections.

if there is a trivial means to convert from .xol to a standard directory
(tar/zip) then it would have a chance.

if you were to define your bundle as a zip file with specific files in it
then you could also have your software use heristics to deal with zip
files without your metadata in it (if by no other way then to show the
list of files to the user and ask for the nessasary data)

 > > HTML in Browse integrates cleanly with the library/home page, can use
 > > advanced CSS for attractive layout, takes you from a link to a
document
 > > without the download-Journal-Read steps, avoids PDF's fundamental
broken-ness
 > > rendering a paper page on a screen, has JavaScript to add
interactivity and
 > > features like annotations, etc. etc.  It's the future.  But PDF is
certainly
 > > an important legacy format.

html in browse does have one nasty problem, it shows partial lines of text
at the top and bottom of the screen

as another smaller problem, you have to figure out where to put the
oversized mouse pointer to minimize it's annoyance when you are trying to
read. I initially tried to put it on the right edge of the screen, but I
discovered that it's very easy to flex the case enough to click the mouse
butten when in tablet mode, which scrolls you to whereever the mouse
happens to be sitting on the scrollbar.

David Lang