[Server-devel] 9.1 Proposal: Printing support

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 11:16:52 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 21 Oct 2008 7:03:23 pm Yama Ploskonka wrote:
> When I am asked about whether the XO handles printing, I present that
> the fact it does not is a feature, not a bug.
+1. CUPS is designed for office LANs. Trying to put it on XO intended for
educating children in remote areas is an overkill. After all, digital cameras
and smart phones don't come with cups and many people (even in cities seem)
to get by fine).

Let us not forget that printers are a power hog and the power required to
drive printers is better spent in operating XOs. Yes, there will be
deployments that will have access to power, printers, ink supplies and large
reams of paper. But those places are also likely to have access to admins who
should be able to install and setup LAN printing.

FWIW .. Subbu