9.1 Proposal: shutdown menu

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Oct 22 11:05:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

   > pushing the power button on the laptop should present a menu or
   > dialog allowing shutdown.  as a strawman UI, the pushing the button
   > should result in a simple dialog that looks like:

How about this:  lid close suspends, power button tap starts a clean
shutdown (after a five second opportunity to cancel, if you like)?
We'd have to define a clean shutdown first.

I think using power button to suspend is mostly a holdover from before
lid closing was reliable.  I'm not sure we still have a good rationale
for it.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>